The purchase of optical modules for media converters has always been a difficult problem for many people. In order to enable everyone to pick good products, we will tell you how to buy optical modules for media converters.
1. How to buy optical modules
(1) Check if it can support full-duplex and half-duplex, because some chips on the market can only use full-duplex environments at present, and cannot support half-duplex. If it is connected to other brands of switches (N-WaySwitch ) or a hub (HUB), which uses half-duplex mode, it will definitely cause serious collision and packet loss.
(2) Check if it has been tested with other optical fiber connectors. At present, there are more and more media converters on the market. If the compatibility of different brands of media converters has not been tested beforehand, packet loss will also occur. The transmission time is too long, and the phenomenon is suddenly fast and slow.
(3) Check if it has a safety device to prevent packet loss because many manufacturers often use the register data transmission mode in order to reduce costs when making media converters. The biggest disadvantage of this method is that when data is transmitted It will be unstable and cause packet loss, and the best way is to use a buffer circuit design to safely avoid data packet loss.
(4) Check if the product has been tested for temperature, because the media converter itself will generate high heat when used, and the installation environment is usually outdoors, so when the temperature is too high (not greater than 50°C), the media converter will Whether it can work normally is a very important factor for users to consider! What is the maximum operating temperature allowed? For a device that needs to run for a long time, this item is very worthy of our attention!
(5) Check whether the product conforms to the IEEE802.3 standard, If the media converter conforms to the IEEE802.3 standard, if it does not conform to the standard, there will definitely be compatibility problems.
- Measure the after-sales service of the manufacturer. Just imagine, if your equipment is broken and the manufacturer has not solved the problem for a few days, how much is your loss? Therefore, in order to make the after-sales service respond in a timely manner, it is recommended that you choose a professional company with strong strength, superb technical force, and a good reputation. Only the technical engineers of professional companies have rich experience in troubleshooting, and the tools for detecting faults are more advanced!
2. The hazards of choosing second-hand or old optical modules
When purchasing, carefully observe the appearance of the product to see if the optical fiber module casing of the product is old, shiny, or has signs of wear. In today’s market, many manufacturers use second-hand or old fiber optic modules in media converters, fiber optic switches, and other equipment in order to make huge profits. Products using these second-hand fiber optic modules will cause great hidden dangers to network transmission, such as fiber optic The optical path of the module is polluted, which will definitely affect the signal transmission and reduce the transmission quality. The decrease in transmission quality reduces the sensitivity of reception and also causes data packet loss. Coupled with second-hand optical fiber modules, the service life will also be discounted, and parts will fail at any time.
Well, the above content is about the purchase principle of optical modules. In fact, an essential factor for enterprises to consider is price, especially for small and medium-sized enterprises and SOHO offices. We believe that a few hundred yuan of products is enough to meet the needs of general enterprises unless it is a special industry, such as telecommunications, military, and so on. Of course, in addition to the price, the compatibility of the product with the surrounding environment and the stability and reliability of the product itself must also be considered.